Meet the Needy is a child sponsorship program based out of Bethel Church in Fairbanks, Alaska. It exists to carry out the Great Commission of making mature disciples of Jesus Christ by meeting the spiritual, physical, and educational needs of poor Ethiopian children and their families in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
In 2002, members of Bethel Church were part of a short term mission trip to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It was evident that children in this hurting community, in one of the poorest areas of Addis Ababa were in great need. With God's vision, timing, and direction, Meet the Needy began in June 2002.
"You reached my when I was in severe need. At a time when I had no food and no school for my children. You met our need when we were empty! I don't have a word to say thank you!" - Kidest's mother
For $35 a month, a sponsored child and their family will receive:
- Basic food and household items such as grain, oil, and soap.
- Shoes and clothing for the child
- School supplies and tuition for the child
- Periodic game times, activities, and outings
A small portion of each sponsorship payment helps to cover the costs of Ethiopian staff to oversee and run the program (book keeper, director, and social worker). Goods are purchased and distributed monthly by the Ethiopian MTN staff.
"I pray for the sponsors because it is not that they are rich that they help, but it is that God told them to help. You heard our burden and brought light to this place!" - Amanuel's mother
We encourage sponsors to send photos of themselves and to write their children as often as they would like. All correspondence is mailed by the Meet the Needy staff. Letters and updated photos of sponsored children are requested once a year.
"I was on cardboard before. Now we have a mattress and a bed! Now I make injera to sell and I do not need to go to the market to sell it, people come here. I am very happy!" - Maimie
- You can pray for Meet the Needy staff, sponsored children, and their families.
- You can sponsor a child with a monthly payment of $35.
- You can give a one-time or monthly donations to the Grain Fund. This is an urgent need, as the cost of teff, the staple food product has increased 500% in recent years.
Meet the Needy
P.O. Box 83613
Fairbanks, AK 99708
*All donations must be payable to "Bethel Church"